immigration legal services
for individuals, families and businesses

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Immigration
  4.  » Spouses
Family Based

Helping Spouses Come To The U.S.

In order to bring your spouse to live in the United States as a permanent resident, you must be either a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident.

If you are a U.S. citizen, once you file the immigrant petition on behalf of your spouse, your spouse is eligible to apply for a nonimmigrant K-3 visa to travel to the United States to live and work while the visa petition is pending. You are not required to apply for a K-3 visa. Your spouse may wait abroad for immigrant visa processing. However, applying for a K-3 visa allows them to come to the United States sooner. Our firm is able to assist you with these petitions.

If you are a permanent resident who filed a petition on behalf of your spouse and/or minor children on or before December 21, 2000, your spouse and/or children may be eligible for the V visa classification if more than three years have passed since your petition was filed.

If you have been married less than two years when your spouse is granted permanent resident status, your spouse will receive permanent resident status on a conditional basis. To remove the conditions on residence, you and your spouse must file a petition together. Within the 90-day period before the expiration date on your conditional resident card,  apply for removal of the conditional status.  If you fail to file during this time, your spouse’s resident status will be terminated, and he or she may be subject to removal from the United States.

If you had children who did not obtain permanent residence at the same time you did, they may be eligible for follow-to-join benefits. This means that you do not have to submit a separate petition for your children. In addition, your children will not have to wait any extra time for a visa number to become available. In this case, you may simply notify a U.S. consulate that you are a permanent resident so that your children can apply for an immigrant visa.

Your children may be eligible for follow-to-join benefits if:

  • The relationship existed at the time you became a permanent resident and still exists
  • You received an immigrant visa or adjusted status in a preference category

Elsa Ayoub provides counsel in all aspects of these marriage-based petitions and ensures that the process is as simple, straightforward and fast as possible so that spouses are not separated, and to minimize the amount of time spouses must stay apart while petitions are adjudicated.

Talk To A Lawyer Who Understands The Spousal Immigration Process

Contact our law firm by telephone at 800-219-1571 or online by filling out a brief contact form.