immigration legal services
for individuals, families and businesses

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Business Immigration
  4.  » Permanent Residence
Family Based

Permanent Residence Through Investment

Foreign national entrepreneurs, who make an investment in a commercial enterprise in the United States and who create or preserve 10 permanent full-time jobs for qualified United States workers, are eligible to apply for permanent residence. Their spouses and unmarried children under 21 eligible to apply for permanent residence in this category as dependents of the principal investor. Up to 10,000 visas may be authorized each fiscal year for eligible entrepreneurs. The entrepreneur must invest $1 million, or at least $500,000, in a targeted employment area (a high unemployment or rural area). In return, they may be granted conditional permanent residence.

Permanent Residence Through Self-Petition

In two classifications of immigrant workers, the workers are not required to have a job offer and may self-petition. These categories do not require employer sponsorship, and include individuals of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics and individuals who are granted a national interest waiver.

Permanent Residence Through A Job Offer

Foreign nationals may apply for a green card based on a permanent employment opportunity in the United States.

Permanent Residence Through Family

To promote family unity, immigration law allows U.S. citizens to petition for certain qualified relatives to live permanently in the United States. Eligible immediate relatives include the U.S. citizen’s spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21 and parents if the U.S. citizen is over the age of 21. Immediate relatives enjoy special immigration priority and do not have to wait for a visa number to become available for them to immigrate, because there is an unlimited number of visas for their particular visa categories.

If the family member of the U.S. citizen is not an immediate relative, the U.S. citizen is able to sponsor family members through a family preference category. Eligible relatives include unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21; married children of any age; and brother and sisters if the U.S. citizen sponsor is over the age of 21. Congress has limited the number of relatives who may immigrate under these categories each year, so there is a waiting period before a visa becomes available.

Immigration law also allows permanent residents of the United States to petition for certain eligible relatives to immigrate to the United States. A permanent resident may petition for his/her spouse and unmarried children of any age to immigrate to the United States. Congress has limited the number of relatives who may immigrate under these categories each year, so there is generally a waiting period before an immigrant visa number becomes available.

Discuss Your Business Immigration Needs With A Knowledgeable Attorney

To discuss obtaining green cards and other business immigration law needs, please contact The Law Offices of Elsa Ayoub, P.L.L.C., online or by telephone at 800-219-1571.