Which family members get preference for entry?

On Behalf of | May 28, 2020 | Firm News

Many people have come to the shores of the United States with little other than the hopes of a better future for their descendants. If they have made it that far, it is natural to want to share the experience with their relatives abroad.

  • Who can help people come to the United States?

Citizens and permanent residents with status in the United States may earn preference for their immediate relatives. In some circumstances, more distant relatives may also get a certain type of preference paid to their cases.

  • What are the circumstances?

It is not as clear as it is for spouses and immediate relatives, but other types of relatives with foreign national status fall into specific preference categories. This category may change if circumstances or available evidence changes.

  • What are the categories?

They generally begin with closer relatives, as unmarried adult children of U.S. citizens make up the first one. Spouses, minor children, and adult single children of permanent residents are next, followed by married adult children of U.S. citizens and their siblings.

  • What does not reflect well on these cases?

Any documented attempt to violate U.S. law by entering illegally may prevent the progress of their cases to approval. Labor certifications and other similar bars to entry do not apply to these preference categories.

  • Who can help with these cases?

Legal representation is always allowed in U.S. courts and a lawyer can also help with filings and hearings related to entering America to stay. An attorney can make the difference between a filed case and a successful case for entry.