The Law Offices of Elsa Ayoub, P.L.L.C.

immigration legal services for individuals, families and businesses

View Our Practice Areas

How to bring a future spouse into the country

New York residents who are planning on marrying a foreign national may be able to legally bring them to the United States. This is done by filing Form I-129F and obtaining the K-1 nonimmigrant visa. To qualify for this visa, an individual must plan on marrying the partner within 90 days, and the marriage must be seen as a legitimate attempt by two people to start a life together.

Furthermore, the wedding must take place in the United States and after the visa has been obtained. Individuals who marry foreign nationals prior to bringing them to the United States generally cannot bring them to the country with this type of visa. After a legitimate marriage becomes official, the foreign national may be allowed to apply for permanent residency status. This is true if a couple gets married within 90 days of an individual obtaining the K-1 visa.

There may be multiple pathways to permanent residency or citizenship for foreign nationals seeking to live and work legally in the United States. If an American citizen marries a resident or citizen of another country, it could make it easier for that person to enter the country. It may be a good idea to speak with an immigration attorney to determine if this is a viable solution for a given person.

If it is, an attorney may help a person obtain and fill out the paperwork needed to obtain a marriage visa. If it is not, an attorney may be able to come up with an alternative solution that allows a person to come to the United States legally. For instance, a foreign national could be sponsored by another family member or an employer. An individual could also be admitted based on humanitarian grounds.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
email us for a response

Ready To Learn More?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

Phone Numbers:

230 Park Avenue
3rd Floor West
New York, NY 10169

Toll Free: 800-219-1571
Fax: 212-574-3346
New York Law Office Map