Green Cards through Investment

Entrepreneurs and their spouses and unmarried children under 21, who make an investment in a commercial enterprise in the United States and who plan to create or preserve 10 permanent full time jobs for qualified United States workers, are eligible to apply for permanent residence. Up to 10,000 visas may be authorized each fiscal year for eligible entrepreneurs. The entrepreneur must invest $1 million, or at least $500,000, in a targeted employment area (a high unemployment or rural area). In return, they may be granted conditional permanent residence.

Green Card through Self-Petition

In two classifications of immigrant workers, the workers are not required to have a job offer and may self-petition. These categories do not require employer sponsorship, and include individuals of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics and individuals who are granted a national interest waiver.

Green Cards through a Job Offer

Foreign nationals may apply for a green card based on a permanent employment opportunity in the United States.

Green Card through Family

To promote family unity, immigration law allows U.S. citizens to petition for certain qualified relatives to live permanently in the United States. Eligible immediate relatives include the U.S. citizen's spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21 and the parents if the U.S. citizen is over the age of 21. Immediate relatives enjoy special immigration priority and do not have to wait for a visa number to become available for them to immigrate, because there are an unlimited number of visas for their particular visa categories.

If the family member of the U.S. citizen is not an immediate relative, the U.S. citizen is able to sponsor family members through a family preference category. Eligible relatives include unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21; married children of any age; and brother and sisters if the U.S. citizen sponsor is over the age of 21. Congress has limited the number of relatives who may immigrate under these categories each year, so there is a waiting period before a visa becomes available.

Immigration law also allows permanent residents of the United States to petition for certain eligible relatives to immigrate to the United States. A permanent resident may petition for his/her spouse and unmarried children of any age to immigrate to the United States. Congress has limited the number of relatives who may immigrate under these categories each year, so there is generally a waiting period before an immigrant visa number becomes available.